My 70-541 Study Guide

Late in 2009 I passed the WSS 3.0 Application Development exam, otherwise known as 70-541. I think it's safe to say the whole Microsoft certification process is a bit odd. That may be a more general subject for another post.

In any case, I ended up with a high score, so I must have done something right. A couple of people have asked me for information so I thought I'd post it here. You may not want to go to these ridiculous lengths, but here's what I did to study for it:

  • I read the Ted Pattison book "Inside Windows SharePoint Services 3.0" cover to cover, twice.

  • I looked at the "Skills Measured" list and did a lot of Googling.

  • Eventually I realized MSDN and TechNet were the source from which most all of those "skills measured" items were derived and I focused my reading there.

  • There are a number of practice tests out there, of varying quality. Buyer beware.

  • In the course of all this studying, out of frustration that there's no good source of consolidated information, I did something really crazy, the results of which you can see below and which I submit here in hopes it may help somebody. (Kudos to Fodi Dervidis who started something like this; I just tried to take it a bit further by going through the entire "skills measured" list. I credit him and anybody else whose information is included in my guide; apologies to anyone I missed.


  • So without further ado, I give you my 70-541 study guide. Remember, passing a test does not necessarily make you a good developer. First you have to suffer a bit more! :)

    Comments

    1. Thanks a lot David for this post, the 70-541 study guide. I have been searching for good study guide for over 1 year but could not found. Today your page resulted on google but I am not sure if this page has listed earlier when I was searhing.
      I have gone through Fodi Dervidis notes, it is also really very helpful.

      Thanks,
      Amit

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Amit, thanks for your comment, I'm glad you found it useful.

      Regards,

      Dave

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi Dave, I took the exam yesterday (5th March) but failed :(. Got only 510 marks.
      Your study guide was helful not doubt. Also would like to tell other guys that MeasureUp practice test is extremly good.
      Amit

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Parsing MSTEST results (.trx files) programmatically (in C#)

    The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( TFSShellExt ) cannot be found.

    Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice